Monday, March 2, 2015

Go Beyond the Limits of the Possible

“The only way to discover the limits of the possible is to go beyond them into the impossible.” - Arthur C. Clarke Have you ever wanted to get to a certain level in life but every time you started knocking on that door, you drew back and never fully committed to enter into it? My first few years of college cross country running, I knew that I could run fast at the new 8,000 meter distance but it seemed I just could not push past what I thought my limits were. By the middle of my sophomore season, I finally committed in my mind to push the limits of my physical body and try to run under 25 minutes. On a misty, cool fall morning near Seattle, the starting gun blasted and I surged to the front pack and stayed up there for the first few miles. I fully committed in my mind to hang on to some of the lead runners that had run faster times than me. And that is what I did, no matter the pain; no matter the strain I did not let some of the lead runners go. I eventually was able to push through the door and blow past my limits and run a significant personal best of 25:18 and got top 10. Although it was not under 25 minutes, I knew that I had finally broken through my self-imposed door? What was different this time? I fully committed before and during to not let people that were at my ability level and slightly faster to gap me and gain time on me. I was willing to push beyond the limits physically and mentally no matter the cost! What is the door in your life that you just cannot seem to break through? What is causing you to draw back every time? Is your mental reasoning real, are you fully committing, or are you placing limits on yourself? If you or someone else has told you that you cannot do it, don’t believe it! God says you can do the impossible: “…Humanly speaking, it is impossible. But with God everything is possible (Matthew 19:26, NLT).” Joel Osteen states in his podcast “Living Large,” that “limited thinking will cause you to live a limited life.” Think beyond your current circumstances and know that “…God is able to make all grace abound toward you, that you, always having all sufficiency in all things, may have an abundance for every good work (2 Corinthians 9:8, NKJ).” Believe God and go exceed your limits! - Dr. Nate Carlson

No comments:

Post a Comment