Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Joy Produces the Strength You Need to See the Race Through

Tomorrow's workout at 5:30pm is a modified tempo with 2 x 18 tempo (at half-marathon pace) with 6 minute slow jog rest between each tempo session. If you are racing this weekend, then I recommend that you run a continuous 42 minute moderate run slower than tempo pace to work on getting in a rhythm. I will be in LA area at the Mt. Sac Relay's tomorrow. Polina runs the 5k Friday night at 7:44pm PST. Good luck to all of you traveling to Boston for the Marathon! Read below for inspiration:


Below is another sneak peek of my book that is coming out later in the year...


"Joy Produces Strength"


How many times during your day and life are you in need of strength? Strength is necessary, whether it be physical strength, emotional strength, mental strength, or spiritual strength. You need strength that will not fail, strength that remains during hardships and trials. Where does this strength come from? The scriptures tell you: “…Do not sorrow, for the joy of the Lord is your strength (Nehemiah 8:10, NKJV).” How do you and I tap into this God-given joy that produces strength?


You first have to know God. You know God by believing in His Son, Jesus. “Whoever confesses that Jesus is the Son of God, God abides in him, and he in God. And we have known and believed the love that God has for us. God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God in him." (1 John 4:15-16, NKJV) To know God, you know real love and this “…love casts out fear…(1 John 4:18).” What joy to know that you don’t have to fear because you are so loved by God and He will provide for you and take care of you! When you know this love, your mind’s perspective is confronted by a change. When you decide to believe and change your mind about your situation and how life should be lived with God…you begin to position your mind and life to have God pour out the blessing of joy in every area of your life!


Throughout my athletic career, I have always needed strength before, during, and after a challenging workout or competition. For this strength, I turn to God’s Word. I read the scriptures, believe what God says, praise God, and ask God for joy that would produce strength in my time of need. For those that have ever seen me competing or working out on the track, you may have seen me smiling and finishing faster then I started.


In 2011, I experienced this in a very special way. That specific year I was discouraged with my performances in running races because I had not run a personal best in a very long time. In the fall, I ran the Maui Half-Marathon with no competition to push me during the race, so I ran as if God was running with me. I remember that I had a tremendous amount of joy from God that day before, during, and after the race. This joy put a smile on my face and gave me strength to win and set a personal best time! This is the joy of the Lord, and it gives you and me strength! The joy of the Lord is the difference maker. God wants to give you His strengthening joy today. Believe in God’s Word, know that God is for you, change your perspective, ask for God’s joy, and receive strength producing joy!

- Dr. Nate

No comments:

Post a Comment